Veritas | Replacement PM-V11 Blade 2-5/8" for Stanley/Record #8 Hand Plane
Veritas has become a leader in product development, more than meeting the needs of discerning woodworkers. The Veritas team combine talent with modern manufacturing to make each Veritas product your lifelong companion.
- The Veritas Replacement Blades for Stanley & Record planes are now available in PM-V11 steel
- A premium blade material, PM-V11 tool steel (Rc61-63) has a unique composition that allows it to take a keen edge that is highly resistant to impact and wear, yet is as easy to sharpen as A2 steel using water stones or other common sharpening media
- We found that PM-V11 holds an edge much longer compared to other steels; the rate of wear will vary from user to user and from one wood to another, but in our tests, we found the PM-V11 blade edge to last at least twice as long in use as an A2 blade before it needs sharpening – a significant improvement over any other blade steel in use today
- All of the PM-V11 blades are lapped on the face side to a flatness tolerance of 0.0005" or better, with an average roughness (Ra) of 5 micro inches (0.000005") or better
- These bench plane blades are 0.100" thick, 25% thicker than the industry standard of 0.080". Increased thickness reduces chatter
- All are 7" long, have a 30° bevel and fit almost all makes of the plane sizes listed
- Due to minor manufacturing variations over the last century, the pawl on the end of the lateral adjust lever on older planes may have to be filed slightly to fit in the blade slot
- Blade widths and plane model numbers are listed on the Veritas Tools website.
- The block plane blades are 0.125" (1/8") thick with a 25° bevel
- The grooves in the blades are for the rear depth-adjust mechanism
- Check the width to determine the right blade for your plane; it is either 1-3/8" (low-angle, 60-1/2 style) or 1-5/8" (standard 9-1/2 style)
- The British-made Stanley planes we carry have a lateral adjust lever and require a 5/8" slot (3 grooves)
- Planes with no lateral adjust lever (older American Stanley block planes) require a 7/16" slot (8 grooves)
- Also available separately or paired with the replacement bench plane blades, the Veritas 1/8" thick A2 steel cap irons serve to stiffen the blade, helping to dampen vibration and reduce the potential for blade chatter
- The cap edge of the iron is machined with a relief angle to ensure it always contacts the face of the blade, so that no gap can form
Please visit www.pm-v11.com for the full story of Veritas' development of PM-V11 Steel.