TSO Products, Bench Dogs, DoubleGroove™, Ø-20mm, Tall, 2 Pack
TSO Products have reinvented the modern 20mm Bench Dog and, in the process, addressed some common frustrations. Having dealt with their fair share of ill-fitting or "stuck" dogs, they have designed their dogs with twin grooves that run along the collar. While it may not seem like much, these double grooves make it much easier to remove the dog once it has been installed. Sharing the same careful attention to detail that has set TSO Precision Tools apart, small but important design elements—like the tiny undercut beneath the collar that guarantees a perfect 90 degree transition, even if the holes in your work surface aren't perfectly devoid of tear-out, or slight chamfers along the touchable surfaces—result in a tool that's comfortable, accurate and a pleasure to use.
TSO has recently introduced a new product for use with Dog Rail Clips, the Stubby Bench Dog. While the Tall Dogs, , afford a maximum level of adjustability in the thickness of material you can cut, there is one trade off: Tall Dogs can obstruct movement of the Festool TS55 and TS75 along your Guide Rail.
If you have a large enough 20mm table and don't tend to utilise the full length of your table when making cuts, you may never encounter this limitation. But for those using a standard Festool MFT/3 or smaller 20mm work surface, the low profile of the Stubby Bench Dogs means that you can cut along the full length of your guide rail.
The Bottom Line:
If you frequently cut materials 25.4mm or thinner, we recommend you choose the Stubby Bench Dogs. If you frequently cut materials thicker than 25.4mm, stick with the Tall Dogs.
TSO Products DoubleGroove™ Tall Bench Dogs measure 70mm above the collar, and 18mm below the collar. This makes them the perfect size for securing your guide rail, when used in combination withDog Rail Clips . A unique design element—an easy-on taper at the top of each Tall Dog—simplifies the process of attaching your guide rail. (See the video below for a depiction of this process.) To accommodate clamping, an included M8x1.25 threaded hole at the bottom of each dog accepts an M8 SpeedKnob™, FESTOOL® M8 knobs from the clamping elements kit, or any other similar off-the-shelf M8x1.25 threaded knob. All DoubleGroove Dogs are made in the USA from 6061-T6 aluminium on high-precision CNC machining centres and are clear anodised for maximum durability. Sold in pairs.
The DoubleGroove™ Dog family includes a variety of sizes: Small (ideal for most general use applications), Medium (for use with the PTR-18 Precision Triangle of thicker worksurfaces), Large (for use with the MTR-18 Precision System Triangle, Tall (for using in conjunction with Dog Rail Clips to secure your guide rail to your worktop), and the Stubby (also designed for use with the Dog Rail Clips, but with a shorter height to clear your track saw motor housing when plunge cutting).
Additionally, specialised "Close Fit" versions of the TSO Small Bench Dogs and Tall Bench Dogs are available for those of you who want a tighter fit in 20mm worktops made with precision tools (e.g. CNC Router Systems or the Parf Guide System).
- Easier to Use: Twin grooves running along the collar make DoubleGroove Bench Dogs easier to remove than other dogs on the market; no more stuck dogs!
- Optimised for Guide Rails: DoubleGroove™ Tall Bench Dogs feature an easy-on taper designed into the top, which simplifies the process of attaching your guide rail to the worktop.
- A Perfect Fit: Precision machined to exacting tolerances, with a diameter of 19.9mm to strike the perfect balance between solid, secure mounting and ease of insertion/removal.
- Ideal for Custom Worktops: If you've made your own perforated worktop based on the 20 x 96mm standard and aren't quite sure if your tolerances are perfect, you'll likely find DoubleGroove Bench Dogs to be a better choice. Their twin collar grooves will make it easier to remove dogs that might become "too snug," and a swept undercut along the collar means DoubleGroove Dogs will mount completely flush even if your holes have tear-out.
- Clampable: Each Dog includes an M8x1.25 threaded hole, perfect for use with the TSO SpeedKnobs™ to secure the Dogs inside your 20mm perforated worktop. (If you already have the knobs from Festool's 488030 Clamping Elements, those will work too, but you'll find that the SpeedKnobs™ will be much faster and easier to thread.)
We Also Recommend
TSO Products, GRS-16™ Guide Rail Square, for Festool, Makita & Triton Tracks
TSO Products, GRS-16PE Guide Rail Square, Parallel Edge, for Festool, Makita & Triton Tracks